1 bunch beets (3/4 pound without greens, 1 ¼ with greens), trimmed
¼ cup sliced natural almonds
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP minced shallot
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 ½ TBSP red wine vinegar
¼ tsp sugar
½ tsp sale
1 large Asian pear
3 cups mache or baby arugula (3 oz)
2 oz. soft goat cheese or fresh chevre
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wrap beets in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 – 1 ½ hours. Unwrap beets and cool.
- While beets are roasting, cook almonds in oil in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden. Cool almonds in oil (nuts will get darker as they cool). Transfer almonds with a slotted spoon to a small bowl and season with salt.
- Stir together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and oil from almonds in a large bowl.
- Skip skins from beets and halve large beets. Cut beets into ¼ inch thick slices and add to dressing, tossing to coat.
- Quarter and core pear and cut into julienne strips.
- Arrange beets on a platter and drizzle with any dressing remaining in bowl. Top with mache, then pear. Sprinkle with almonds and cheese.
Adapted from Gourmet, September 2000.